Other ways to contribute

Way to contribute to your spouse's super account

If you have a 'super gap' due to time off work while caring for family, your partner can split their pre-tax contributions with you. It's a tax effective way to balance a more secure financial future together. And it works both ways - you can contribute to their super later. 

There are two ways to increase your spouse’s super:           

  • Personal spouse contributions: paid directly to your spouse’s account as non-concessional contributions
  • Contribution splitting: you can split your concessional (before tax) contributions with your spouse. 

How do personal spouse contributions work?

If your partner contributes up to $3,000 to your super from their after tax income, they can receive a tax offset of up to $540 - as long as you earn less than $40,000 p.a. 

Receiving spouse's relevant income (RI)

Maximum rebatable contributions (MRC) Maximum offset (18% of lesser of)
$0 - $37,000 $3,000 MRC or total spouse contributions
$37,000 - $40,000 $3,000 - (RI - $37,000) MRC or total spouse contributions
$40,000+ Nil Nil
  • Tax offset of 18% on up to $3,000 in spouse contributions
  • Maximum offset available to contributor is $540
  • Relevant income (RI is assessable income + reportable fringe benefits total + reportable employer super contributions 
  • Eligible spouse must be under age 70. If aged 65 to 69, they must be gainfully employed at least 40 hours in a period of not more than 30 consecutive days in that financial year. 

How does contribution splitting work?

Pre-tax contributions can also be split, including a salary sacrifice arrangement. When you 'split' super contributions, money is transferred from your partner's super account into your account, or vice versa. 

If you'd like to set up spouse contributions or learn more, download the form below or call us on 1300 655 002.

Government co-contributions

Every dollar can make a big difference to your super balance, as it will compound over the years. So if you earn less than $56,112* per year it could be worth making a personal contribution to your super - as the government can add a tax-free bonus of up to $500 into your Catholic Super account, if you're eligible.   

You'll receive up to $0.50 for every $1 you add to your super during the financial year - whether it's a regular payment or a one-off top up from your after tax income.  

The total co-contribution will depend on your income, and you will need to lodge a tax return to receive it. 

Am I eligible? 

To receive a government co-contribution you need to: 

  • Make voluntary, after tax contributions during the financial year  

  • Earn less than $56,112, with at least 10% from running a business or from an employer*  

  • Be aged under 71 at the end of the financial year  

  • Be an Australian resident  

  • Lodge an income tax return for the financial year  

Please note, if you've held a temporary resident visa at any time during the financial year, you are not eligible. 

How much could I get?

Your salary  
(per annum) 

Your contribution  

The maximum
you could receive 

$41,112 or less 















or more



*For the -2021/22 financial year 

Check your entitlements with this co-contribution calculator.

How can I make a super contribution? 

There are three easy ways for you to top up your super with after tax contributions: 

  1. BPAY® - Log onto MyLife Online to get your BPAY details. 

  1. Arrange for a direct debit from your bank account - Download a Member Direct Debit Request form 

  1. Ask your employer to deduct after-tax contributions from your pay