The WGEA is an Australian Government statutory agency created by the Workplace Gender Equality Act 2012. The Agency is charged with promoting and improving gender equality in Australian workplaces. It aims to:
- Promote and improve workplace gender equality, including equal pay for women and men,
- Recognise disadvantages in the workplace due to gender, and help employers remove barriers,
- Encourage employers to end gender discrimination, including for family and caring responsibilities,
- Promote consultation between employers and employees about workplace gender equality, and,
- Boost Australian business productivity and competitiveness by advancing workplace gender equality.